Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Butternut Squash Macaroni & Cheese



As you know, I heart cheese. Mostly all kinds. Mostly all ways. Monday, like most days, I was thinking of various cheese to stomach delivery options. I'd heard about butternut squash macaroni and cheese, but I was skeptical at best. I looked at some recipes on the internets and decided to wing it alone in the kitchen, opting for a squash/cheddar puree method on the off chance Minicrat would be fooled into eating it.



It turned out kind of amazing, and now I too have joined the cult of butternut squash macaroni enthusiasts. My version is Gluten-Free. Here's how I did it:

1 Organic Butternut Squash, Roasted, Peeled and Cubed - $1.98 @ $.99/lb
1/2 onion shredded - $.33
4 cups shredded cheddar - $2
1 cup Vegetable broth - $1
Salt
Pepper
1/2 cup lowfat milk
1 tablespoon butter
1 16 ounce package of Brown Rice Pasta $1.99

Total: $7.30

Preheat oven to 400. Boil pot of water for pasta.

Melt butter in a sauce pan. Saute your shredded onion until soft. Add your squash, broth, salt, pepper and milk. Cook until the liquid is absorbed. Puree.



Return to saucepan.

Add three cups of shredded cheddar, saving one cup for the top of the baked mac. (Gluten-eaters could also top with breadcrumbs.) Continue cooking the sauce until it's your desired thick consistency.

When your pasta and sauce are done, mix them together and pour them into a greased casserole dish. Top with rest of cheese. Bake for 20 minutes. I also broiled mine for a few minutes at the end to make the top really brown. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment